Private and Group Lessons for Children and Adults
The Upper Valley Aquatic Center wants everyone in Vermont and New Hampshire's Upper Valley to learn how to swim. From children as young as six-months old to mature adults, we believe that learning to swim is first and foremost about safety and comfort in the water. Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death among children 1-5 years and the second leading cause for children 6-14. There is a Learn to Swim Program right for you or your child. We teach group lessons like Parent and Me for the youngest swimmers, Yogi Swim, Preschool and Group Swim Lessons for children ages 3-18 and Adult Lessons. We teach Private Lessons for anyone who may want individualized instruction. We encourage EVERYONE to learn to swim because it will help to make you and your child safer in the water. Grants from US Master's Swimming are available to help adults who may not be able to afford a learn-to-swim program.
To swim well is an asset for life. Lots of organizations and individuals teach swimming lessons. But we don't just teach lessons. WE TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO SWIM!
**All registrations must be done online except Private Lessons. Credit card required.
Learn to be Safe in the Water, Enjoy Swimming for Fitness and FUN
The Upper Valley Aquatic Center instructors follow a curriculum where water safety comes first! Lesson plans are designed to teach the critical swim skills you and your child need to be safe in and around the water for a lifetime. It is ideal for children to be proficient swimmers by no later than third grade and should begin their aquatic development as early as six-months old. No one is ever drown-proof, but being able to swim 300 yards continuously will lower you or your child's chances of drowning exponentially.
About Our Program
Swimmers are placed in small groups by ability.
Breath control and balance are the foundatations for a comfortable swimmer.
- Repetition makes new skills permanent.
- Children move to a new station with new skills (even within a session) as they achieve the advancement goals of their current station.
- Children advance when skills are mastered.
- From blowing bubbles to swimming all four competitive strokes, children and adults are rewarded for their efforts every stroke of the way!
- Choose 1x or 2x per week. Multi-class discount taken at register.
To help you or your child to feel comfortable and confident in the water.
To teach you or your child to swim proficiently, safely because swimming is an invaluable life skill that is essential for both adults and children alike.
To help you or your child to love swimming for health, safety, fun and fitness.
- Swimming is one of the few sports you can do throughout your lifetime.
- Swimming is the best possible exercise. It works all the body’s muscles and burns the most calories.
- Having a great relationship with the water opens up a whole host of other water sports and opportunities.
- Swimming will provides a lifetime of health and fitness.
- Swimming lessons are the first lessons your child needs. They are the only lessons that could save your child’s life.
- A swimming pool is 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in the death of a child age 4 and under.
- 70% of all preschoolers who drown are in the care of one or both parents at the time of drowning. 75% are missing for 5 minutes or less.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children between the age of 1 and 14.
- Approximately 9 people drown in the United States every day.
- Children aren't the only ones at risk. In 2000, victims ranging in age from 15-44 accounted for 45% of all drowning deaths in the United States.
- No one is ever drown-proof. However, being able to swim 300 yards continuously lowers the chance of ever drowning exponentially.
- Being able to swim 300 yards continuously means you can: scuba dive, snorkel, become a lifeguard, compete in triathlons, play water polo, be on a swim team, teach swimming and much more.
Source: CDC, swimamerica.org
How long will it take to learn to swim?
This depends on your child's age and level of fitness. It may take 2 or more sessions of eight lessons each for preschoolers to learn the basic skills of floating, kicking, returning to the wall and rolling over on their back to breathe, float and rest. Older students that have mastered the first skills of breathing, floating and kicking will learn more rapidly.
How do I know when I can discontinue swimming lessons?
What are the benefits of learning to swim early?
Note: In order to receive the member rate, you must have a family membership at the time of registration and for the duration of the session.
"I have been very impressed with the lessons my 3 and 4year olds have taken at UVAC. The instructors were patient and caring. My children have learned swimming skills that they will utilize for the rest of their lives."